Located in the eastern part of Indonesia, the Komodo Islands boast a captivating natural charm that attracts travelers from across the globe. If you want to get to the Komodo Island from the USA, here’s what you need to know about getting there.
Introducing Komodo Island
Komodo Island is known for its stunning landscapes, crystal-clear waters, and unique wildlife, including the world-famous Komodo dragons. Komodo Islands is located off the western coast of Flores Island in Indonesia.
The Komodo Islands are located between the East and West Nusa Tenggara regions and are made up of 29 islands. One of this island’s most famous tourist attractions is Komodo National Park, which was declared a World Heritage Site and Man and Biosphere by UNESCO in 1986.
This island is home to at least 2,500 Komodo dragons, giant ancient lizards that can grow up to three meters in length and weigh around 70 kg. Besides, you can also enjoy the underwater beauty and explore the island. If you are wondering how to get to Komodo Island, especially from the USA, we have compiled this list of everything you should know.
Planning Your Trip to Komodo Island from the USA
If you plan to visit Komodo Island from the USA, note that the journey involves multiple flights and a boat ride, so having a precise itinerary will ease the process.
1. Booking Your Flight to Indonesia from the USA
When planning a trip to Komodo Island, know how to get there, which transportation to go there, and from which airport to which season to book. If you’re in the USA, you can fly connecting Labuan Bajo with several cities in Indonesia, such as Bali, Jakarta, and Surabaya.
East Coast Side
If you reside in Boston, you can opt for a flight to Bali, Indonesia from the East Coast Side with one to two-stop transit.
BOS to DPS (Boston to Denpasar) with Qatar Airlines
- Outbound Flight: Depart from Boston Logan International at 9:35 PM and arrive in Denpasar at 3:30 PM two days later.
- Flight Details: The outbound flight includes stops at Doha Airport and Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
West Coast Side
Meanwhile, if you’re from the West Coast Side, below are details about flight options you can choose from.
1. LAX to DPS (Los Angeles to Denpasar, Bali) with Japan Airlines + Transnusa
- Outbound Flight: Departs from Los Angeles International Airport at 11:50 AM and arrives in Denpasar, Bali at 11:25 PM 2 days later.
- Flight Details: The outbound flight includes stops at Tokyo Narita Airport and Soekarno-Hatta Airport.
2. SFO to DPS (San Francisco to Denpasar, Bali) with Singapore Airlines
- Outbound Flight: Departs from San Francisco International Airport at 09:40 AM and arrives in Denpasar, Bali at 11:55 PM a day later.
- Flight Details: The outbound flight includes one-stop transit at Singapore Changi Airport
3. SEA to DPS (Seattle to Denpasar, Bali) with Korean Air by Delta
- Outbound Flight: Departs from Seattle/Tacoma International Airport at 10:10 AM and arrives in Denpasar, Bali at 11:55 PM a day later.
- Flight Details: The outbound flight includes one-stop transit at Incheon International Airport.
Estimated cost: Flight prices significantly depend on the booking time, season, and departure city. A round-trip economy ticket class will cost you from $700 to $1,500.
2. Connecting Flights to Labuan Bajo
When you arrive in Indonesia, you must continue your journey to Labuan Bajo, a small town on the island of Flores, which is the gateway to Komodo National Park. You can go there by air, by land, or by water. But most travelers choose to go to Labuan Bajo by domestic flights. Several daily flights are available from Bali (DPS), Jakarta (CGK), and Surabaya (SUB) to Labuan Bajo’s Komodo Airport (LBJ) via local airlines like Garuda Indonesia, Lion Air, and Batik Air.
If you take a flight from Bali [DPS], several airplane options, such as Lion Air, Citilink, and Batik Air, provide direct flights to Labuan Bajo [LBJ]. It will cost you from IDR 750,000 ($47).
If you take a flight from Jakarta [CGK], there are some direct and 1 stop flights. You can go to Labuan Bajo with several airlines, such as Batik Air, Citilink, Garuda Indonesia, Air Asia, and Lion Air. It will cost you from IDR 1,300,000 ($83).
The travel time from Bali to Labuan Bajo is around 1 hour and 15 minutes, and Jakarta to Labuan Bajo is around 2 hours and 20 minutes. It offers stunning views of the Indonesian archipelago. Labuan Bajo’s Komodo Airport is only a 10-minute drive from the main port of Labuan Bajo. You have to take note that this airport is small; often, flights in and out of Labuan Bajo get delayed, rescheduled, or canceled, so you need flexible travel plans.
3. Boat Trip From Labuan Bajo to Komodo Island
You can only reach Komodo Island by boat from Labuan Bajo. The boat ride usually takes around two hours. Another option, in Labuan Bajo is to charter a boat and take a private cruise around Komodo Island. This is a great way of seeing exactly what you want, discovering the archipelago, and getting the chance to snorkel in the crystal-clear waters that surround it.
If you prefer to charter a Phinisi boat, KomodoLuxury provides a broad selection from different classes such as Deluxe, VIP, to VVIP. We are proudly the best boat charter in Komodo. Under a tour operator company called Komodo Luxury Trip, our Boat Trip Komodo Island certified #1 Tours in Komodo Island by TripAdvisor.
Ready to go on a sailing boat trip? Check out the boat charter selection here
How Much Does It Cost to Go to Komodo Island
Here is the entrance fee for Komodo National Park
- Short track: IDR 400,000 (~$25.41)
- Medium track: IDR 425,000 (~$26.99)
- Long track: IDR 450,000 (~$25.58)
Indeed, the best time to visit Komodo National Park is in the dry season of April to early December. April to June is a gorgeous time since the dry season begins, and the islands are lush. July and August are mating seasons for the Komodo dragons, so they are harder to spot. September to November is nesting season, which can also cause you to see fewer dragons.
So, when are you going to Komodo Island boat tour from the USA?
Let us know, and we will check which boat suits your needs. Should you have any questions regarding the tour package, boat capacity, and facilities, please contact us at KomodoLuxury Website.
We will be delighted to answer all of your questions. Visit our Instagram page to see our customers’ stories on their trips with us. Let us take care of your trip because, for you, it’s time to relax, enjoy nature, and have some adventure around the Komodo National Park.